Monday, August 20, 2012

Dear Senator... HELP!

Below is an abbreviated version of the letter I sent to Senator Carl Levin.

He and his office were extremely helpful. He sent a letter to Mr. John Hardage, Congressional Liaison Director in the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, U.S. Department of Treasury.

I'm not sure who John Hardage is or what his role is in all of this, but I was impressed with his extremely long title.



Dear Senator Levin,
I am hoping you will see the tragic irony in my situation after learning that I was turned down for a home loan modification. I was turned down for the HAMP modification because my income was deemed to be sufficient – I was turned down for a traditional loan modification because my income was deemed to be insufficient.
I listen to the news, so I have some understanding of the appalling practices going on with Freddie Mac,which owns my mortgage. I am including an excerpt below and the website source from NPR:
Freddie’s charter calls for the company to make home loans more accessible. Its chief executive, Charles Haldeman Jr., recently told Congress that his company is “helping financially strapped families reduce their mortgage costs through refinancing their mortgages.”
But the trades, uncovered for the first time in an investigation by ProPublica and NPR, give Freddie a powerful incentive to do the opposite, highlighting a conflict of interest at the heart of the company. In addition to being an instrument of government policy dedicated to making home loans more accessible, Freddie also has giant investment portfolios and could lose substantial amounts of money if too many borrowers refinance.
“We were actually shocked they did this,” says Scott Simon, who as the head of the giant bond fund PIMCO’s mortgage-backed securities team is one of the world’s biggest mortgage bond traders. “It seemed so out of line with their mission.” The trades “put them squarely against the homeowner,” he says.
I am one of the taxpayers who bailed out Freddie Mac, and now they won’t bail me out because they want bigger profits for their investors. But as a taxpayer, I AM one of their investors.
I believe I am one of the homeowners President Obama refers to when he talks about hard-working citizens who should be able to benefit from lower mortgage interest rates and loan modifications.
I bought my house in 2004, when home prices were inflated. I got a 30-year fixed loan at 5.75 percent. I was not a reckless investor. I put 20 percent down on my home.
In 2009, I was laid off from my job as communications manager. I couldn’t find a full-time job after months and months of searching, so I started my own freelance communications business. I also had to file for bankruptcy.
I have spent years working two, three and four jobs at a time, 50 to 60 hours a week, to support myself and stay current on my mortgage. I have never missed a mortgage payment.
I chose not to sell my house because it is the only investment I have, and I would lose all my equity in it in the current economy. Even if I did sell it, I would never be able to buy another, less expensive home because of my bankruptcy and because I am now self-employed with an unstable income.
Most of my freelance work is for nonprofit organizations. My biggest client recently cut back the work they could give me, so my monthly income has now been reduced by $1,000 per month. In my opinion, that puts me in imminent default on my mortgage loan. I am also the volunteer editor of the street newspaper in Ann Arbor that helps homeless people earn an income. I am proud to say that our newspaper has moved quite a few homeless people into housing, yet it pays me only a tiny stipend for the work I do. Another irony – the work I do to help homeless people get into housing doesn’t pay enough to keep me in my house.
I have not missed a mortgage payment, no matter what. I have already sold all my jewelry. I have sold the family china. I have sold furniture and paintings. There is nothing left to sell in my house.
I am 58 years old, living alone in Michigan, and have resigned myself to the fact that no one wants to hire someone of my advanced years in the area of my expertise, which is communications, social media and web design. All companies prefer to have young people doing that type of work at a lower salary.
Experience doesn’t count for much in a bad economy.
I know that the only way I can possibly be considered for a home loan modification now is if I miss a mortgage payment, and the thought of that horrifies me. I’d rather be behind in my heat and electric bills than miss a mortgage payment.
It seems that responsible people like me are getting punished for doing everything we can to pay our mortgages.
There is something deeply flawed in this nation when our lawmakers can’t correct this situation. It doesn’t take a genius to see that extending loan modifications to people like me will help the economy tremendously. Had I qualified for the loan modification, I would have $700 extra income every month. Money I could spend on a plumber to get the hot water working in my kitchen. Money I could use to hire a painter to paint my home’s exterior, which is crumbling and peeling. Money I could use to pay a carpenter to fix my front porch, and a mason to fix my chimney. And all those workers, in turn, would have more money to spend as a result. The multiplier effect would quickly pump much-needed money into the economy.
But that isn’t happening. Instead, the top six executives at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac earned $35.4 million in 2009-2010.
I can assure you I’m not alone when I say that I am very seriously considering becoming an expatriate and living in Central America if this type of flagrant abuse of the bottom 99 percent doesn’t change. It’s a very sad day when living in third world countries like Honduras or Guatemala is more appealing than living in the United States.
Sincerely,
Your hopeful constituent, Laurie






No comments:

Post a Comment